The beauty of cooking more than I can eat is the leftovers! Only problem is I will freeze them and then forget haha. When my brother was in town we made a Slow Cooker Pork Shoulder Roast by Nom Nom Paleo – her recipes are awesome if you ever want to give them a try. It was super easy and required minimal ingredients (always a plus):
- 2.5 pound tied boneless pork shoulder roast – the one we used wasn’t tied and worked fine
- 2-4 tablespoons dry rub – I just used a variety of spices
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1/2” slices
- Dry pork shoulder with paper towels
- Season liberally with salt, pepper and spices
- Place pork in ziploc bag and seal removing excess air
- Marinate in fridge for 4 hrs up to 2 days
- Once done marinating, place vegetables in bottom of slow cooker and top with pork shoulder
- Turn it to low and go about your day! Or cook overnight and go to bed! It should be ready in about 8-10 hours
Success! The initial dinner included quinoa and roasted broccoli.
It made enough that I had leftovers in the fridge for a couple days, plus a few single serve portions in the freezer. Last night I did NOT feel like cooking haha, so I had to get creative. I also realized that I had frozen leftover Garlic Mashed Cauliflower “Potatoes” (just steam cauliflower, add coconut milk – my personal favorite – or any other milk, season with a little salt and garlic, and blend away!). Then I thought those two might go well together, so I gave it a try and the result was delicious. Topped off with a spinach salad and dinner was ready in just a few minutes!