Did you know that HOW you eat can have just as much of an impact (if not more) on your digestion as WHAT you eat?
In today’s crazy society, especially America, we are rushing rushing everywhere. I am all too guilty of eating at my desk to get some extra work done (yay for peace and quiet), snacking on the go, and having dinner while on my laptop or watching tv. I was always focused on eating the “right” foods rather than the right way. My stomach hurt all the time, especially if I was stressed, yet I didn’t really think anything of it at the time.
Now, on the other hand, I have made a conscious shift to try and eat mindfully at every single meal. And I’m not going to lie, it can be hard! But it has been one of the biggest contributors to my improved digestion and sense of well-being. And the beauty of it is that you don’t have to change a thing about your diet! Although that could potentially help as well 😉 .
So what does it even mean to eat mindfully? And why should I?
Below are 8 simple ways I practice eating mindfully, which make me (and my digestion) feel AMAZING. Not only that, it has allowed me to feel more satisfied, more energy, realize when I am full, and overall eat more intuitively (rather than stressing about getting the right calories, enough protein, etc). Try one, or all eight, and see how you feel!
- Put away all distractions – this means phone, laptop, tv, book, journal, everything! This is probably the hardest because we are so used to having stimulation around us at all times, but it is super important to disconnect.
- Chew! Aim for at least 25 times per bite (you can count the first time just to get a feel for how long it takes…I don’t actually count every bite).
- Set your silverware down between EVERY bite. It’s the perfect way to slow down 🙂
- Actually taste your food – notice the flavor, texture, smell, etc…it’s pretty good!
- Take deep breaths – breathe long and slow into your belly, and release just as slow…this relaxes the body and brings blood and oxygen to support your digestive system.
- Visualize the food being absorbed by and nourishing your body.
- Light a candle – make a date with yourself…you deserve it <3
- Give thanks for the food you are about to receive. We are pretty blessed.
I would love to hear your experience after giving these a try 🙂 Feel free to comment below!
One of my incredible mindful breakfasts in Granada, Nicaragua (Tribal Hotel)
Another local, mindful breakfast from the island of Ometepe, Nicaragua
Yours Jenuinely, xoxo